Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Book Slut



I am always looking for a book to pick up.

I spend inordinate amounts of time in bookstores and libraries cruising for a book I might like to take home.

I frequent online services to examine what is available.

I may look over a likely prospect in a bookstore cafe or dark corner of a library

Most are rejected quickly as unsuitable. A blurb, the contents page, a few paragraphs and I make my decision.

I admit I choose many books by their covers.

Sometimes friends introduce me to a likely prospect. They may bring one to my attention at a social gathering.

Often I take one home from a dinner party.

Once in a while I meet a book and it is love at first sentence. It is immediately satisfying.

We just click. Our relationship grows page by page, chapter by chapter until it blossoms into true love. 
It is a love that lasts until the final sentence when we two must part.

It is wrenching.
I remember the sweetness of those hours we had together for a long, long time.
But alas, I must start the search again.  
I am insatiable.

1 comment:

  1. You give dignity and a voice to all the book sluts of the world! It's time we came out of the shadows, those dark corners lit only by a small reading lamp, and took our rightful place on the shelf. So many books, so little time, it's like being in a candy store as kid. . . .

    M.

    ReplyDelete